Wednesday 20 December 2017

iPhone owners, do you use Apple Maps?

Google Maps iOS

Earlier today, an in-depth look of how Apple Maps compares to Google Maps was published. Someone out there might say, "But why does it need to exist, because Google Maps is obviously leaps and bounds better than Apple Maps." And someone might reply to that, "Well, it's always good to have visual proof," and I think it's safe to say that it does just that.

In all seriousness, though, cartographer Justin O'Beirne has put together a superb, in-depth look at how the two mapping services compare, and the results are pretty shocking. Not because it's expected that Apple should be on the same level when it comes to this sort of thing --not yet, anyway-- but because of the differences being laid bare.

Of course, the results aren't at all surprising. Google simply has the time under its belt to have a better product right now. Apple is basically brand new to this sort of thing, launching Apple Maps in 2012. Before that, Google Maps was the go-to option on iPhones, so Apple obviously had an uphill battle in front of it.

For the record, Google Maps launched in 2005. So Google's got a head start, to say the least.

I've had some remarkably bad times with Apple Maps since the feature's debut. One of those was when it was still in beta, tied into a beta period of iOS, so that one doesn't really count. But there have been instances when Apple Maps was a full-fledged product, too.

Just last year, for example. It wasn't a terrible situation, but it was definitely annoying. I was trying to get to a friend's new house, so I put the address in Apple Maps and started following the line. Instead of just taking me straight there, which was definitely possible, it had me go well out of my way to basically get back on the same street I was on to begin with.

I don't even know why I kept following it when I knew it was taking me so off course. But I did, and me and my friend had a pretty good laugh about it when I finally arrived.

I went back to Google Maps after that, but not for long. I honestly like the interface of Apple Maps a little bit more. That search bar at the top of Google Maps isn't very easy to reach, not quickly, and I like the little touches in Apple Maps, which includes the weather for my current location.

With that being said, I can admit without any hesitation that Google Maps is a better, more well-rounded and feature-rich product, and it doesn't typically lead me in the wrong direction. I genuinely wish that I could have all of those great Google Maps features in Apple Maps right now, but that's just not possible. It's a waiting game for Apple Maps users.

But, I'm curious. If you're using an iPhone, do you use Apple Maps at all? If so, why do you stick with it? And, if not, are you a Google Maps user? Let me know!



from PhoneDog.com - Latest videos, reviews, articles, news and posts http://ift.tt/2BGrUcK
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to top ↑
Connect with Us

    Popular Posts

    Powered by Blogger.

    Pages

    About

What they says

© 2013 techmobile. WP Mythemeshop Converted by Bloggertheme9
Blogger templates. Proudly Powered by Blogger.