Wednesday 25 July 2018

What do you like about your smartwatch?

Google Wear OS

Do you remember the Pebble? The smartwatch that effectively kicked off the huge surge in smartwatch appeal all those years ago. The lineup isn't around any longer, getting gobbled up by Fitbit. But the effects on the market have certainly been felt ever since the wearable's debut.

It's safe to say that where Apple has found success, it's been a bit of a rocky road for Google. But things are hopefully going to change on that front soon, with Google rebranding Android Wear to Wear OS. Rumor has it we'll see new Pixel-branded smartwatches later this year, too.

I can't help but think Google will sell quite a few of those.

The smartwatch is a piece of technology that I've been in love with for years. Ever since I was a kid. And yes, like so many other folks out there, it has everything to do with Dick Tracy. I remember being blown away by the idea way back then, but, the reality is that it hasn't really carried over with age.

Not the idea, of course. Smartwatches are pretty great in theory. Just like smartphones, a smartwatch is capable of packing in a lot of different features into a small package. Whether it's triaging notifications or just keeping tabs on health-related goals, you can get a lot out of your smartwatch.

And yet, despite the fact that I've tried so many over the years, I just can't seem to really settle in with the reality. The Pebble was pretty great, especially with the cool display. And I've even enjoyed some Android Wear offerings in the past.

I tried the original Apple Watch when it launched, but that only lasted a few days. One of my major issues with Android Wear when I was using it back then was notifications, because there were just too many -- even when I wasn't wearing the watch. Apple's watchOS handled that a lot better, but it really still comes down to notifications that bother me a lot.

(I just want to say that, if I'm having a conversation with someone and my watch makes a sound, I'm still as rude for looking at a wearable and interacting with it as I am if I did the same thing with my phone. It's not less rude somehow just because the display is smaller.)

Turning notifications off altogether does help a bit, yes. But then I wonder why I have a smartwatch at all. Even if you just go with a hybrid, the goal is to let you stay on top of your notifications. I'm forking over quite a bit of money for these pieces of technology, and I'm just not finding a real reason to have the technology on my wrist.

How do you feel about smartwatches in 2018? Have you tried out a few different models up to this point? Or have you found one you like above all the others? If so, which model is it, and what about the smartwatch do you enjoy so much? Let me know!



from PhoneDog.com - Latest videos, reviews, articles, news and posts https://ift.tt/2mKAWz0
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to top ↑
Connect with Us

    Popular Posts

    Powered by Blogger.

    Pages

    About

What they says

© 2013 techmobile. WP Mythemeshop Converted by Bloggertheme9
Blogger templates. Proudly Powered by Blogger.