Thursday 26 October 2017

What trade-offs are you willing to make in your phone?

Google Pixel 2 XL

This last week has been an interesting one, thanks to a pair of flagship smartphones from Google. It's not as big a rollercoaster as last year, because at least this year there isn't a smartphone that's exploding, but it has certainly been a standout series of days.

We may be at the end of that rope, though. Today, Google confirmed that software updates will fix, or at least address, some of the complaints that have surfaced since before the phones launched. The display problems may have led some folks to wait to pick up the new phone(s), but for those who got their phone at launch, it's good to see Google is acting quickly to alleviate concerns.

It has also led me into some interesting conversations about trade-offs.

I know a few people who either have a Pixel 2 XL on the way, or who have had it for at least a few days. In those cases the display has come up more than once, and what I've heard has led me to wonder what kind of trade-offs people are willing to accept for the phone they want to love.

"If the experience is as smooth as I've seen in videos, then I won't really care about the display," a statement made by a friend of mine before they received their Pixel 2 XL, has really stuck with me. I've used the Pixel 2 XL and I can definitely agree with what people have said, as far as the color accuracy goes. I don't mind it, but I'm also not a huge fan of the screen.

And considering I'd have to look at that display 100% of the time, it's not something I'm willing to bend on. Even if the user experience is amazing, and even if it has the greatest smartphone camera out there right now, the display is one of the most important parts of the experience for me. The Galaxy S8+ covers all of the important bases without feeling like I'm taking an acute loss in any other category.

I don't know anyone who is returning their Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL, which I'm not surprised about at all. They are both great phones. But talking about trade-offs in specs, or features, and the things we are willing to accept, or lose, made me wonder where you all might stand on this particular front.

What trade-offs are you willing to make for your smartphone? Are you willing to make any? Let me know!



from PhoneDog.com - Latest videos, reviews, articles, news and posts http://ift.tt/2z9kMqR
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to top ↑
Connect with Us

    Popular Posts

    Powered by Blogger.

    Pages

    About

What they says

© 2013 techmobile. WP Mythemeshop Converted by Bloggertheme9
Blogger templates. Proudly Powered by Blogger.