Monday 30 October 2017

How quickly do you update your devices?

LG V30

At least a few times a year, I hear a lot of the same thing: "You're brave for updating so quickly." Every time I hear it, in some capacity or another, it's always a statement that confuses me just a little. Don't get me wrong, we've seen some pretty rough software updates in the past. But, I think we're all pretty safe more often than not.

The last time I heard it, though, they were probably spot-on. The latest update to macOS High Sierra made a pretty big change to media playback keys, and, while I wouldn't necessarily say Apple broke them, it's pretty dang close. Up until High Sierra saw the light of day, the media keys worked the way they should: controlling Spotify, or Apple Music, or whatever other media app was playing. And if you happened to navigate to a page with a video, like YouTube, those media keys wouldn't stop controlling the media app.

Now, though, in High Sierra, if you find yourself on a page with a video, like Twitter or YouTube, the media playback keys will control that video. And just navigating away from the video doesn't always mean that the media app will take back control. So, without much warning, the media playback keys will just stop working.

All right, maybe they are broken.

I hate when stuff doesn't work and the media playback keys are one of the most important things I look for in a keyboard, so this has been pretty annoying since High Sierra's launch. But other than that particular issue, the software's been fine. So I'm just waiting for some kind of fix to land. (Fingers crossed it ever does get fixed, and this isn't how Apple thinks it should work now.)

This sort of thing is pretty common though. I know a few people who refuse to update their phones with the newest software until it's been a few weeks, at least, since launch. And some don't update until that update has its own update. Update all the updates.

I'm someone who used to try a lot of beta software, so I don't align myself with that particular train of thought. But I can also admit that I don't start updating the moment the new software is out, either. I wait a few hours, at least. If something bad is going to happen I've seen over the years that it usually gets discovered almost immediately, so putting some hours between me and the release window has worked out (for the most part).

But I'm curious: How soon do you update your devices? Are you someone that puts the newest software on there as soon as it becomes available? Or do you try to wait a set amount of time? Let me know!



from PhoneDog.com - Latest videos, reviews, articles, news and posts http://ift.tt/2gPEE7i
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to top ↑
Connect with Us

    Popular Posts

    Powered by Blogger.

    Pages

    About

What they says

© 2013 techmobile. WP Mythemeshop Converted by Bloggertheme9
Blogger templates. Proudly Powered by Blogger.